Thursday, February 24, 2011

Doing great still..hospital staff very attentive and nice..for those of you who don't talk to me regularly..the surgery I had was an "aggressive debridement of the right maxilla (upper jaw)"... the incision goes from just past my canine tooth on the right upper jaw, just above my teeth on the cheek and tongue sides all the way to the back of my jaw around the back behind where my wisdom tooth used to be. So I guess it's more like 4" long. The bone inbetween was removed, especially back where my wisdom tooth had been. There was a large knobby area of infected bone back there that extended into my hard palate. That is now gone (yay). The bad bone was sent for culturing/biopsy. This area was filled in with INFUSE which is a bone graft material which is placed on an absorbent collagen sponge. As the sponge is absorbed new bone grows in it's place. Usually titanium is used with active infection (I have the brochure on the product), I'm not sure why this was used but have to have faith that my doc knows what he is doing, that he removed everything infected and my future 3 months of a PICC line and daily IV antibiotics will prevent or eliminate the remaining infection...for good. However, the issues with the right lower jaw were not addressed at all..Will have to see if I can get in with a dentist very soon..since I fired mine I'm not sure where I'm going...would be nice if I could see one in San Diego before my follow-up appt.


1 comment:

  1. Where did you go to have this done? How did you find your surgeon? Did it leave a scar on your face?

    ReplyDelete